Monday 24 March 2008

Pleasure or Match Fishing

Pleasure or Match Fishing?,no doubt some people do get pleasure from poling in silver fish the size of gudgeons every 20 seconds,but as a seasoned carper I have to admit it holds little appeal for me.I remember winning one river match on the Severn with about half a pound of Dace as no one else caught,and I thought I'd had a miserable session,never fished another match after that,I was almost to embarrassed to receive the cup.It's nice to take in the scenery even stroll around if someone's caught a whacker and you just can't do these things in the heat of competition.You can certainly take advantage of some of the groundbaiting after some of the matchmen have vacated to relate their stories of being half an ounce from victory.When the line screams from the reel clutch along with the steady tone of the alarm! you know that's no 8 oz roach on the end and battle commences.If you're a professional match angler who makes a good living from it fair due,personally I'd be bored out of my skull,so let's here your views or vote in the poll.
Shaun

2 comments:

Dan said...

Since I was there that day I think you're selling yourself short. It was a tough spot with the current fairly racing through and the fact that you caught anything was a miracle! You made the most of the opportunity.
I tend to agree that at least as far as fishing goes I'd rather spend the money on recreational fishing and pick the spot I want to fish...

Shaun said...

Thanks for that,the rewards and recognition may be more for the match fisher but I wonder if they get chance to enjoy it in the intensity of the competition.