Sunday 21 September 2008

25LB Common

Well it's been some time since I picked up a big carp,and I've blanked at a lot of big fish venues,in fact this is the first time I've caught at Gawsworth Fishery although only the second visit,I'd more or less got the woodland specimen lake to myself which explains the rather dissappointing self timer photo.I'm supporting the fishes considerable gut on my knee and also managed to cut the carp's tale off .I've got a short video of this on you tube,the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5zchqO8jQ it was caught on tesco's premium mixer(floated out) on a small bubble float and it was pretty explosive stuff nearly ripping the rod out of my hands.I was getting nowhere with bottom baits/pop ups etc despite laying out a bed of bait.This makes up for the 2 small stockies picked up at Holden in about 10 visits and the blanks at Westport/leg of mutton and Bath Pool(dreaded swans).I'd like to also thank National Veterinary Services who suspended me for alledgedly smoking in the toilets who made the visit possible,Cheers!
Shaun

2 comments:

Dan said...

Nice catch. It's been a while since I fished for anything but carp were always tough fighters. What sort of braking strain are you using? They always seemed pretty finicky or smart once they got past a certain size so I'm sure you have to be quite stealthy to catch the big stuff.

Shaun said...

The hooklink was Korda IQ soft 10/12LB to Daiwa sensor 15Lb reel line,and the carp nearly took the rod out of my hand when it bolted off.I wish I'd filmed the fish feeding some of them were awesome(30+) and they mopped up everything I threw in.I had to get them confidently feeding before I singled a large one out feeding fairly close in and for once the Carp never knew I was there.I have to admit sometimes the big old ones are infuriatingly smart or have developed an instinctive suspicion having been caught out before.